Monday, October 1, 2012

Zucchini Pizzas

I don't have a garden, so I don't know if it's too late for this or not but...  If you have leftover garden zucchinis or just score a really good deal at a farmer's market or local vegetable stand, this is a great and slightly different way to use them up!

Recipe: (from Gina's Skinny Recipes) (as written serves 1, expand as desired)
4 slices zucchini, 1/4" thick
Spray olive oil 2 tablespoons pizza sauce
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
salt and pepper

optional toppings: olives, pepperoni, mushrooms, peppers, onions

Cut zucchini about 1/4 inch thick.  Spray or drizzle lightly with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.

Broil or grill for about 2 minutes on each side.

Top with sauce, cheese, and desired toppings (we used pepperoni) and broil for an additional minute or two (being careful not to burn cheese).



Verdict:
Well first of all, I think I cut mine a bit thicker than 2 inches.  I was concerned about making them too skinny, and I made them a bit too thick.  I ended up cooking them quite a bit longer than the directed 2 minutes.

In the end, though, that didn't matter.  They don't taste exactly like pizza, but if you like zucchini, you'll love these as a light and fresh pizza substitute.

It was also a fun meal to make together.  If I had planned ahead, we could have had a variety of toppings and really gone to town!
(About 14.5 weeks pregnant... Hadn't really produced a tummy bump yet...)

1 comment:

  1. Yummy, these are good! And for 14.5 weeks you look great!

    ReplyDelete