Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Mini Frittatas

I've been trying to specifically eat more eggs because they have all sorts of good nutrients for Lucky.  The problem is, when I already have to get up at 5 am, making a production out of breakfast is not high on my list...

This recipe looked like something I could make ahead, keep in the freezer, and warm up quickly in the morning, so I thought I'd give it a try one Sunday night...

Recipe: (from familyfun.com)
4 large eggs
1/4 cup half-and-half (I used 2% milk - another change from my usual skim for Lucky)
1/2 teaspoon salt
Assorted mix-ins: spinach, peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, olives, bacon, sausage...
grated parmesan cheese

Heat your oven to 350 degrees and coat a 6-cup muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.

Whisk together the eggs, half-and-half (or milk), and salt in a medium bowl.  Evenly distribute the egg mixture among  the muffin cups.

Add mix-ins.  If using bacon or sausage, make sure it is cooked.  Sprinkle parmesan on top.


Bake about 20-25 minutes, until frittatas are puffy and edges are golden brown.

Verdict:
A delicious and easy way to get eggs into my breakfast on a weekday (not to mention the spinach and other veggies I added).

They freeze well and I can reheat them quickly in the morning.  No muss, no fuss.  Two egg frittatas (for right now) keep me pretty full until lunch, and I know Lucky is starting the day with some important nutrients.


No comments:

Post a Comment