Monday, July 9, 2012

Shrimp and Watermelon Salad

While sitting in the salon, waiting for my hair appointment last week (in other news, I finally have my hair back for the first time since moving to Cinci!), I came across a spread of new ways to use up watermelon.

I had in fact  purchased a watermelon for use in this fruit salad and had more than half of it left over.  It takes a looooooong time for two people to eat up fruit from simple snacking, so I thought this recipe would be a good way to use up a bit more.

Recipe: (from Better Homes and Gardens magazine)

(no amounts were given for ingredients, so I just guessed a mounts that looked good for a meal for two)
shrimp
watermelon
olive oil
chopped cucumber
feta or parmesan
oregano or basil
lemon juice

In  a large skillet, saute shrimp in olive oil 2-4 minutes, until no longer pink.

Transfer shrimp to a bowl.  In the same skillet, cook cubes of watermelon with a little water about 3 minutes, until the liquid reduces slightly.

Remove from heat and pour over shrimp.  Add chopped cucumber, cheese, and a handful of oregano and/or basil.  Drizzle with olive oil and a squeeze of lemon.


Mix well and serve.

Verdict:
All right.   A bit unusual.  Not bad...... Just not something I'd go out of my way to make again,  Alex's main complaint was that it was 'too light' for a meal.  He felt it needed some pasta or rice or something.  I thought it was a bit too liquidy....  And seemed to lack flavor.

In my opinion, the best part was the watermelon.  The idea of cooking watermelon seemed a bit odd at first, but the sweetness really did caramelize.  In the future, I think we will try grilling watermelon as a simple side dish on its own.




About mid-way through the meal, we lost power for the second time that day, and had to entertain ourselves playing with fire...

I mean dining by candlelight like the responsible adults that we are...  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment