Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Patriotic Fruit Salad

If you're looking for a festive holiday treat that is simple, sweet, healthy, and still has some wow factor, this idea found on Pinterest will be sure to satisfy!

What You Need: (from witandwhistle via Pinterest)
watermelon
strawberries
blueberries

1 star shaped cookie cutter

Wash berries.  Lay out on towel to thoroughly dry.

Wash outside of watermelon.  Cut watermelon into slices.  In each slice, press in the cookie cutter so that you get a star-shaped piece of watermelon.

I was really only able to get one star per slice.  But I used the 'excess' watermelon as fruit for the salad and just layered the stars on top for a patriotic effect.  Because watermelon slices are so thick, I was able to slice each star in half.  But if you buy a whole watermelon, trust me, you'll have plenty of watermelon to go around.  I used less than half a watermelon to make this.



 Remove tops from strawberries; slice into halves or quarters.

Add strawberries and blueberries to watermelon in bowl.  Stir well to combine.



Layer watermelon star shapes on top.  Serve for some healthy patriotic flair at your next Independence Day event!


Verdict:
If you love fruit then you'll love this.  The process was no more difficult than it already is to slice a watermelon.  I'm no crafty-Cathy, so if I can get my stars to turn out right, anyone can.  And for such a simple dish, the reaction to its presentation is quite rewarding!  :)

Have a Happy 4th of July tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment