Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Let the Work Begin!

On the 4th of July we received the keys to our new house!  This was a bit earlier than we had thought we would get the keys, so we have a couple of weeks to clean, paint, and make a few changes before moving in our furniture.

Generally, the house is in pretty good shape.  There really isn't anything hideous or unlivable, just cosmetic changes and the chance to update and make the house 'our own.'

Of course of I have oodles of ideas!  Some are possible for the immediate future while others will require some patience..... and saving money....

We've already been to Lowe's and Home Depot more times in the last week than in my entire life!

Here are some Before Pics.  I'll post updates of individual projects as they are completed....

Laundry Room Goals: Clean, Paint, Remove hideous wire shelving, install new storage solution, change light fixture (actually, I need to eventually change most fixtures and hardware throughout the house as they are almost all gold - but one thing at a time)



Kitchen Goals: Structurally the kitchen is in good shape with clean, functioning appliances.  The hardware has already been changed from the original gold to a simple silver, which I can live with.  "Down the road' we will be changing the green laminate counter tops.  Green counter tops are definitely not my thing.  But that gets expensive, so there won't be any major kitchen changes for now.  The paint will also need to be redone 'at some point', but I'm not sure if I want to do it now, or just wait until we can do the counters and do everything at once...


Butler's Pantry Goals: Again, the counters will change when we change the kitchen counters.  This area is also screaming for some upper cabinetry, possibly with glass fronts.  Down the road.


Dining Room Goals: Too dark.  Must repaint.  I would also like to change the light fixture but will live with this until I can find (and afford) exactly what I want.  In my fantasies, I would also ditch the carpet and continue the hardwoods from the kitchen/hallway, but we'll see.....


Office Goals: This room is actually the most 'done.'  We purchased the furniture from the sellers and while I don't love the paint color, I don't hate it either.  We will probably leave it for now and just arrange furniture/decorate.

Powder Room Goals: I want to replace the gold fixtures, the mirror, and change the paint color.  This bathroom also  desperately needs some storage.


Living Room:  It does need to be repainted, but I think I need to wait until I've chosen new furniture and can hire a painter.  'Down the road' we will re-do the tiles around the fireplace.  They are green and one is already cracked.  The carpet will probably be replaced eventually but for now just cleaned.  And in my fantasies, new window treatments.  But I hear those are crazy expensive.

On to the upstairs...


Master Bathroom:  Hate, hate, hate this room! So sterile and white (except for the hideous countertop).  In the short term, I am hoping some paint, a new light fixture, and accessories will improve it a lot.  Long term, we will change the counter top and possibly the sinks.... The rest will depend on money, time, etc...  But PAINT will help dramatically for now!  This room is priority #1.


Master Bedroom:  Love the high ceilings in here.  We will be changing the paint for now, but that's probably about it.  I eventually want new bedroom furniture, but that won't happen for some time, so I don't want to go to crazy until then...  Oh, and of course the light fixture is, you guessed it, gold, so that will go eventually.  But for now I am just happy to have a ceiling fan again.


Guest Bathroom:  Again, so sterile and so white.  Paint will help big time, but that's probably it for now.  At least it is all in good condition.

We also have three spare bedrooms that will all need to be repainted and furnished eventually.

And a partially finished basement that we would love to update, change, improve....  But, you know, priorities.....

Obviously this is way more than we can accomplish in two weeks, so we'll see what actually happens...

Let the projects begin!

4 comments:

  1. Your new house is great! With your new paint and updates down the road or will look wonderful ;) FYI, my mom works at Virginia Tile and can give you a discount if you need any!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate auto correct. How about "it" will look wonderful. Lol

      Delete
  2. well, if there is still painting or gardening to be done by the time I come in August I am game for a few hours of work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! We are excited to see how things start to take shape... The first two gallons of paint have been purchased. :)

    ReplyDelete