Thursday, May 17, 2012

Quinoa with Sauteed Kale and Goat Cheese

It's been quite some time since I have tried out a new vegetarian recipe, and I've also been itching to give quinoa a try, so this recipe seemed like a perfect opportunity.

Recipe: (from Sweet Peas and Pumpkins)
1 cup uncooked quinoa
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 small yellow onion
1/2 cup sliced bell pepper (I used red and yellow)
2 cups (packed) chopped kale, stems removed
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt
5 ounces herbed goat cheese

Cook the quinoa: bring 2 cups of water to a boil, add the quinoa (rinsed in a colander first), reduce to a simmer and cover.  Simmer 10-15 minutes, remove from heat and let sit for a minute or two until water is absorbed.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet warm the olive oil over medium high heat.  Add the onion and bell pepper and saute for 3-4 minutes.

Add the kale and salt and stir well.

Add the 1/2 cup water and let simmer for 5-10 minutes, or until kale is wilted and excess water has evaporated.

Add the quinoa to a large bowl and combine with sauteed kale mixture.

Add the Greek yogurt and goat cheese.  Stir well to combine.  Serve warm or at room temperature.


Verdict:
Alex thought it was pretty good but slightly bland.  He finished a pretty large portion, and said it would be fine to make again.

I did not agree.  This was definitely not one of my favorite new meals.  I was pretty excited about the individual ingredients and trying quinoa, but I did not like the end result.  It wasn't the quinoa.  That I tasted on its own, liked, and will make again in another recipe.  It was the Greek yogurt.  Which, for the record, I love.  What I didn't quite put together is that plain Greek yogurt is essentially sour cream, (taste and texture wise) and I simply cannot stand warm sour cream.  It makes me nauseous.  I gave this meal a good faith try but about three bites in I just could not get the food to my mouth.  Very not good things were happening in my stomach region.  I did not finish even half of my meal.  :(

Soooooooooo..... This recipe will not be repeated in my kitchen.  However, there is a delicious sounding quinoa recipe on the back of the box that I just can't wait to try so look for that soon!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry you didn't like it. I wonder what the kale and peppers etc. would be like as a side dish. No quinoa, no yogurt, maybe just a little cheese on top for a punch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet they would be dee-lish! I might even like it with the quinoa - just no yogurt...

    ReplyDelete