Sunday, May 27, 2012

Garlic Chicken Stir Fry with Quinoa, Peppers, and Basil

After my first disastrous attempt at cooking with quinoa, I noticed this recipe on the back of the box (purchased at Trader Joe's).  Since it didn't require serving with lukewarm yogurt and sounded quite appetizing, I decided to give it a shot!

Recipe:
1 cup quinoa, prepared with chicken stock, according to package directions
2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
5 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
5 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
20 leaves, fresh sweet basil, julienne (I forgot to do that part... my leaves were just whole... oops!)
grated parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Prepare quinoa with chicken broth according to package directions: 1 cup quioa: 2 cups chicken broth in pan; bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until all liquid is absorbed (10-15 minutes).

Meanwhile, cut chicken into 1 inch pieces. Heat large nonstick skillet over high heat and add olive oil.  Add chicken and saute about 5 minutes, or until golden brown (mine took closer to 10).

Add onions, bell peppers; saute for 1-2 more minutes.

Add garlic and saute until peppers become slightly limp, but still bright, about 1-2 minutes.  Season as desired with salt and pepper.

Remove the pan from heat; add basil and quinoa.  Toss until basil wilts.

Garnish with parmesan cheese when serving.

Verdict:
Much more successful than the previous attempt!  Nothing fancy or rock-your-tastebuds amazing but good, basic, well seasoned, filling food for a regular weeknight dinner.  I finished my portion, Alex went back for seconds, and it reheated well for my lunch for the next 2 days.  Not too time consuming and not an awful amount of dishes for the clean-up process.  Something I'll keep around.

But I have to stop looking at recipes that 'serve 4' as dinner for us for 2 nights.  Sigh....  Put me in a bit of a pickle when hubby went back for seconds since I had planned on eating it again the next night and had no other options in the house..... And couldn't go to the grocery store because due to a flat tire, Alex was using my car for 2 days.....

Oh well, at least it means he liked it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment