Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole

So apparently broccoli was my April vegetable of the month.  Feels like we've been eating it in just about every dinner for forever....  As much as I adore broccoli, and I do, I need to search out some recipes that will give me some variety for the next few meals!

In the meantime, check out this comfort food favorite with a healthified twist!

Recipe: (from onceamonthmom via Pinterest)
2.5 cups uncooked brown rice
2 cups chicken, cooked and chopped
4 cups fresh broccoli florets
1 batch cream of mushroom soup*
1 batch cream of chicken soup
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste

*Nothing mushroom for hubby, so I used a double batch of cream of chicken soup.

Cook brown rice according to instructions on the stove top or in a rice cooker.

Meanwhile, in a large pot, steam the broccoli until just tender.  Drain and rinse in cold water.

Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl (or directly into your casserole dish as I did), reserving 1/2 cup of the cheese.  Fill two 8 x 8 casserole dishes or one 13 x 9 dish.

Sprinkle remaining cheddar cheese on top.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, until heated through and bubbly OR freeze then thaw and follow baking directions when ready.  Servings: 8



Verdict:
This dish does take some planning ahead and some time to assemble.  Fortunately, I had baked chicken the night before, so I thought to bake a few extra chicken breasts for using here.  Although I didn't freeze this for use later, I did make it early in the day and leave it in the refrigerator so that when I got hungry, all I had to do was throw it in the oven.  The majority of the dishes were already done, so I was able to enjoy dinner without that hanging over my head.  And of course, making one or two ahead of time and freezing for later meals on extra busy nights would add to the convenience factor.

The website this recipe comes from is interesting in that it advocates 'once a month' cooking: basically a day and a half or so chained to your kitchen so that throughout the month you have easy and healthy recipes at the ready.  They have meal options for all sorts of 'diets,' including the Whole Foods option, where I found this recipe.  I'm not using the website for the purpose of once monthly cooking right now because I don't really need to, and I don't really have the freezer space for that at the moment, but it's something to keep in mind when life gets busier.

As for this recipe, I can't compare it to the more traditional dish using canned soup and white rice from a taste perspective as it's not something I've eaten often in my life.  But Alex and I did both enjoy it as a basic weeknight meal (not for company or a special occasion).  Nothing overly special here, just good basic food.  I did think that 2.5 cups was a lot of rice, and my casserole just barely fit everything.  So I might use only 2 cups of rice in the future.  But all in all, a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment