Monday, May 7, 2012

Fiesta Casserole

My favorite holiday, Thanksgiving, presents a welcome opportunity to indulge in many of my favorite foods.  The runner-up, St. Patrick's Day, makes the list because it is an excellent excuse to both act and dress like a fool.  And I really like Irish food and Irish beverages.  Coming in a close third is Cinco de Mayo.  Because tequila rocks.  And Mexican food isn't too shabby either.  The common theme here?  Food.  As Cinco de Mayo approached, I tried out a few different Mexican-ish recipes before deciding to stay true to tradition and cook up a Fam-Favorite.

My mom has made this recipe several times over the years.  We've always loved it, but I don't think Alex has ever been able to partake in its delightful-ness.

Recipe:
1 pound extra lean ground beef
1 green pepper, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
1 package taco seasoning
12 flour tortillas (6 inch)
1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, divided

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Brown meat in a large skillet.  Drain.

Add red and green peppers to skillet.  Saute with meat for 3-4 minutes.


Stir in salsa, canned tomatoes, corn, and taco seasoning.  Mix well and bring to a boil.


Spoon 1 cup of meat mixture into bottom of 13 x 9 inch baking dish.

Top with 6 tortillas, overlapping as necessary (I could not find 6 inch tortillas, so I used larger ones and ripped them in half to fit).

Spoon half of remaining meat mixture over tortillas then cover with 3/4 of cup of the cheese (I used a mix of cheddar cheese and a Mexican blend I had left from a previous recipe).

Top with remaining tortillas and meat mixture.

Bake, covered, in oven for 25-30 minutes, or until heated through.
(See, Mom, best.pan.ever.)

Remove from oven, uncover, and sprinkle with remaining cheese.  Let stand 5 minutes.

Serve with the only appropriate side dish: a margarita made wit freshly squeezed lime juice!

Verdict:
This meal will be a winner with anyone who likes tacos, enchiladas, and other Mexican food.  I always use mild salsa, but if you are a spicy food fan, you can certainly use more intense salsas and seasonings to suit your palate.

I was pleased to taste that my first attempt lived up to my own expectations (i.e. tasting like Mom's).  Alex must have agreed as he went back for seconds.  I on the other hand opted for a second margarita.  No reflection on the quality of the casserole, but there are few things I adore on my taste buds as much as tequila and fresh lime juice...

1 comment:

  1. My only regret from our batch of this this year is that Greg got to take the leftovers with him. But we did get a little leftover margarita the next day:)

    ReplyDelete