Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Carolina Pulled Pork BBQ

Over the weekend I just really, really, really wanted a pulled pork sandwich.  No particular reason.  I just did.  So I set about on a mission to find a slow cooker recipe I could try and hit the jackpot on one of my usual websites.  It had a lot of ingredients in it that aren't necessarily my favorite thing ever... But I've had good luck with just about all of the recipes that I've tried from this site, so I gave it a whirl!
Recipe: (from Sweet Peas and Pumpkins)

Make the rub:
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon paprika (I used my new love - smoked - obviously)
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Combine the above ingredients and rub 4-6 pound whole pork butt or shoulder. (I used a 4 pound and I can't imagine much more than that fitting into my slow cooker.)


Place in the slow cooker:
2-3 onions quartered and the pork shoulder.

Mix the sauce:
2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes (I did skip this as I didn't have any.)
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Combine and pour 1/4 of the mixture over the roast.  Save the rest for serving later.  (It made about 1 cup, so I poured on a 1/4 cup.)

Cook on low for 10-12 hours or on high for 5-6 hours.  Remove the roast, let cool about, and shred using two forks - it should just fall apart.


Serve on buns with remaining sauce.

Verdict:
Definitely good if you like vinegary barbecue.  If you like sweet and/or saucy, look elsewhere.  The pork was very tender when it was done cooking and easily fell apart.    In fact, it was in pieces just trying to take it out of the slow cooker.  Not difficult at all.

We used the sauce on our sandwiches and liked the extra moisture and flavor.  But it doesn't go far.  The remaining sauce was gone after the two of us ate sandwiches for two dinners.  I still have half the meat left and no sauce.  Fortunately it is easy enough to make, which I will do when using the remaining meat.  If you intend to serve it all at once, at least double the sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment