Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Kale Chips with Sea Salt and Smoked Paprika

If you had told me six months ago that I would dream of the next time I could eat kale, I would have laughed at you.  Laughed so hard that milk snorted out of my nose.

Then when I went to my class at Williams-Sonoma, the very first thing they served us was kale chips.  I was hesitant and wondering how I could get out of eating the first course politely.  But I was starving.  Then I realized they were made with smoked paprika.  And as previously discussed, smoked paprika makes anything taste good.  Anything.

So I ate one.  Then another.  Then like 100 more.  Good thing they are only about 3 calories each.

I needed a side dish for the pulled pork sandwiches, and it's always a good thing to have something green with dinner, so homemade kale chips were up again.

Recipe: (from Healthy in a Hurry - Williams-Sonoma)
curly or dinosaur kale, 1 bunch (approx. 1/2 pound)
olive oil, 2 tablespoons
smoked paprika, 1/4 teaspoon
coarse sea salt, 1/2 teaspoon

(This makes 4 servings.  They don't save particularly well, so only make what you think will be eaten.)

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.  Rinse kale well and blot dry thoroughly with a clean kitchen towel.  Tear leaves from ribs; discard ribs.  Using your hands, tear leaves into fairly large, appealing chip-size pieces.


Place kale in a bowl and sprinkle with olive oil, paprika, and salt.  Using your hands, toss to coat evenly with oil and seasoning.

Arrange leaves in a single layer on 2 baking sheets.  Bake, rotating pans top to bottom and back to front midway through baking time, until leaves are dry and crispy, about 25 minutes.

Serve right away; kale chips are best eaten within a few hours.

Verdict:
Yes.  They are that good.  Yes.  They look scary.  They.  Are.  Worth.  The leap.

If you are craving salty snacks, these will satisfy. Possibly even better than a potato chip.  And definitely better for you.

According to the cookbook, per serving these are 90 calories, 2 grams of protein, 6 grams of carbs, 7 grams of fat, no cholesterol, 1 gram of fiber, and 270 mg of sodium.  Kale is a spectacular source of antioxidants known to prevent cancer and promote eye health and detoxification.  It has a boatload of vitamins A, C, and K and provides and easily absorbed form of calcium.

This recipe works for me as a delicious side-dish, an appetizer, or even an afternoon snack.  I just wish they could be saved in an airtight container.  That would be much more convenient for an afternoon snack.

(Check frequently, especially if cooking only one tray.  They can easily and quickly be overcooked.)

1 comment: