Monday, February 20, 2012

Spinach and Artichoke Lasagna

Feeding my Pinterest addiction has led to many, many new recipes to choose from.  It's getting difficult to decide which ones I want to try, so I decided to base my decision on which one I had at least some of the ingredients for.  Since I had a partially used box of lasagna noodles in the cupboard, this won for next recipe in my oven!

Recipe:
Cooking spray
9 uncooked lasagna noodles (I used whole grain)
1 onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 (14.5 ounce) can vegetable broth
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary (I subbed 1 teaspoon dried)
1 (14 ounce) can marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped (I chose artichokes packed in water rather than marinated)
1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
1 28 ounce jar pasta sauce
3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided (I made do with 2 cups)
1 (4 ounce) package herb and garlic feta (which I couldn't find, so I used sundried tomato and basil feta)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  If needed, spray 9x13 inch baking pan with cooking spray.  Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook lasagna noodles until al dente, about 8-10 minutes.

Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and heat on medium-high.  Saute onion and garlic about 3 minutes, until onion is tender-crisp.  (I used olive oil in the pan instead of cooking spray.)

Stir in broth and rosemary; bring to a boil.

Stir in artichoke hearts and spinach; reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.

Stir in pasta sauce.

Spread 1/4 of the sauce mixture on the bottom of the pan; top with 3 lasagna noodles; top with 3/4 of a cup of the mozzarella cheese.  Repeat layers 2 more times, ending with artichoke mixture and mozzarella cheese.  Sprinkle crumbled feta on top.


Bake, covered, for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 minutes more or until cheese is bubbling.  Let stand about 10 minutes before cutting.

Verdict:
Absolutely loved!  Everything was perfectly cooked.  Some of the online reviews said it was too watery, but I followed the liquid amounts exactly and did not feel it was a problem.  Despite being meatless, Alex had second helpings, which is always a good sign.

I was a little worried about the night that I had planned to make the lasagna because I also planned to go to the gym with Alex when he came home from work.  This is not a '20 minute meal,' and I did not want to be eating at 8 o'clock....  The easy solution was to plan ahead, so I made the lasagna earlier in the afternoon and left it in the refrigerator.  When we came home from the gym, all I had to do was pop the baking dish into the oven!  Plus, the  not insignificant cleaning process was taken care of earlier as well, so I didn't have a sink of dirty dishes after eating.  That always makes the meal more enjoyable.

My le Creuset covered baking dish was the perfect choice for baking this.  I didn't feel the need to use cooking spray, and I was right.  No sticking at all.  And since it comes with its own cover, I didn't need to mess with aluminum foil etc.

I will definitely be keeping this recipe on hand and expect it to become part of our regular meal rotation!

1 comment: