Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Roast Pork with Apricots

Pork is one of my favorite foods.  I've tried a couple different ways of cooking pork chops but have never attempted a pork roast.  This is supposed to be a year for trying new things, and it was time to tackle this one.  I searched several different websites for intriguing recipes and decided this one from Williams-Sonoma sounded like the perfect one to try: a little something different without being crazy complicated.

Recipe:
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more, to taste
1/4 teaspoon pepper, plus more, to taste
1 boneless pork loin roast, 2 - 2 1/2 pounds
2 tablespoons canola oil (but I used olive oil)
1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup chicken broth
3 cups dried apricots
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard

On a plate, mix together the flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.  Roll pork in flour mixture, coating all sides.  Shake off any excess.

In a large fry pan over medium-high heat, warm the oil.  Add the pork, turning frequently, until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes.  Transfer to a plate.

Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the fat in the pan.  Add the onions and saute until softened, 3 - 5 minutes.  Add the garlic and saute about 1 minute.

Pour in the broth and deglaze the pan, using a wooden spoon to scrape up all the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.

(At this point, you can continue cooking your roast on the stovetop or in a slow cooker.  I will describe the stovetop method that I used.)

Transfer the pork to a Dutch oven and pour in the broth mixture.  Add the apricots, orange juice, and thyme.



Cover and cook over medium-low heat until the pork is very tender, about 1 1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer inserted in the middle reads 140 (Fahrenheit). 

Transfer the pork to a cutting board and cover loosely with aluminum foil.  Using a slotted spoon transfer the apricots to a bowl.  Using a large shallow spoon or ladle skim off as much of the fat as possible from the surface of the cooking liquid.  Strain the juices into a large saucepan.  Bring to a boil over high heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced and concentrated, about 10 minutes.  Stir the mustard into the sauce and add the apricots.  Season with salt and pepper.

Cut the pork loin across the grain into thin slices and arrange on a warmed platter.  Serve immediately.

(OK, not the prettiest meal ever.... But looks don't necessarily equal taste.)

Verdict:
I think it's definitely a great recipe that I will make again.  I never would have thought of apricots on my own, but I've always loved the combination of pork and fruit, usually applesauce.  That said, I think it's a recipe that will take a bit of practice to get right.... Or maybe just the idea of cooking roast pork will take some practice to get right.  I think I had the heat up too high because it was a little dry...  Not unedible but a little less than perfection!

Even though the pork was cooked with fruit of its own, I couldn't help myself and thawed out the last of the homemade applesauce that I made in the fall.  Delicious!

Now I need it to be fall again, so I can get some more Jonathan apples...

1 comment:

  1. A pork roast sounds like a nice change of pace. It may be hard to get a good temperature on your stove. I am sure your lovely pan helped. I LOVE mine.

    ReplyDelete