Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Italian Pasta Bake (tweaked)

Alex: This is the best pasta bake you've ever made.  You should always make it this way.

And he's Italian.  So he knows.

(Personally I think it's because it was baked in my awesome new covered purple baker.  Le Creuset rocks my world.  But I guess slight recipe adjustments could also have a little to do with it.  Maybe.)

I am still loving trying out all sorts of new recipes, but it is also nice to have the chance to take an old favorite and make it suit our tastes just a bit more.  This Italian Pasta Bake has long been a favorite of mine, and I will crave it a few times a year.  Last week was one of those times.  But I also remembered how much I liked the flavor of this Versatile and Vegetarian Pasta Bake, so I added the spice combination from that recipe.

Recipe:
1 lb. ground beef (I use extra lean.)
3 cups penne or rotini pasta, cooked, drained (I use Barilla Plus penne because mom always did.  And mom knows best.)
1 jar (26 - 28 oz.) your favorite spaghetti sauce (marinara is better than chunky style)
3/4 cup parmesan cheese
1 8-oz. package shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 t oregano
1/2 t garlic powder

Cook noodles according to package directions.  Brown meat in a large skillet; drain.  Heat sauce in saucepan and add oregano and garlic powder.  Stir in pasta, sauce, and 1/2 cup parmesan cheese. 

Spoon into a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.  Top with mozzarella cheese and remaining 1/4 cup parmesan cheese.

Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.  Let sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.

Verdict:
Well you already heard Alex's opinion.  And I agree.  Something about this recipe was better than either pasta bake I've made before.  I meant to add a can of diced tomatoes, but I didn't have any in the cupboard.  So that will be next times adaptation!  Loved the purple pan for more than just it's looks: easy cleanup!  Baked on cheese is my nemesis.  Usually I have to soak the baking pan for awhile and scrub until the scrubbrush bristles have ground down a good 1/4 inch or so.  But as I filled this pan with hot, soapy water, the cheese practically floated off.  Floated.  And since the biggest downfall of this recipe is three (three!) pans and a baking dish.... Well anything that makes that part easier gets major points for me.

Let's just have another moment of awe for one of my new favorite pans:

3 comments:

  1. Show off! No fair dangling that beautiful pan all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. with a larger stove top you could brown the meat in the purple pan and have one less to clean up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just one more reason to hate my stove... :-P

      Delete