Friday, January 20, 2012

Lemon Caper Pasta

Because I can't get enough of artichokes.  Enough said.


Recipe: (from Sweet Peas and Pumpkins)
1 pound penne or other small-medium pasta, preferably whole wheat
1/2 cup drained and rinsed capers
1/2 cup sliced olives
1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, quartered and packed in water - drained
1/4 cup olive oil
zest and juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup crumbled feta
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
optional: steamed asparagus, green beans, or peas
1/2 cup breadcrumbs

Cook the pasta according to package directions.  While pasta is cooking, steam the asparagus, green beans, or peas until just crisp-tender.

(Diva Note: Mid-way through cooking pasta, my burner just decided to.... not be hot...  Mind you, the dial was turned all the way up... the little red light was so on... but when I checked on the pasta after the timer rang.... the water was lukewarm at best.  I.Hate.My.Stove.  So I had some extra time and decided to cut my asparagus.  I liked it.  I'll do it again.  Hopefully by choice.  Not out of boredom.  Stupid stove.)

Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine capers, olives, artichoke hearts, olive oil, lemon juice and zest, feta, and pepper.

If desired toast the breadcrumbs under your broiler for a minute or two.

When the pasta is done, drain the pasta - reserving a tablespoon or two of the pasta water - add in the caper mixture and toss lightly.  Add in the asparagus, green beans, or peas and toss again.

Serve immediately in low bowls and top with breadcrumbs.

Verdict:
One of the nicest surprises of this dish was a light, lemony taste.  If you're sick of this gloomy, rainy winter... Make this!  It will taste like springtime.  (And can I just say?  suckiest.winter.ever.  I'd like a little snow.  And then we can just move on.  Anyway.)

I had mixed up the caper mixture when I started attempting to boil the water, and it turned out that artichokes are even more delicious when they have soaked up lemon juice.  Awesome.

I loved that this pasta dish was loaded with vegetables.  If vegetarian isn't your thing, grilled chicken would be a perfect addition.  I loved the olive oil and lemon juice base of the sauce.  Light.  Refreshing.  Filling.

But it must be said, I didn't find that the breadcrumbs particularly added anything to the dish.  They were just kind of... there... They added a bit of a crunchy texture, sure.  But still, when I make it again, it will likely be without the breadcrumbs. 

 Having again.  Soon I hope.  Sans breadcrumbs.

*Note:  I typically hate leftovers of spaghetti.  I always have.  But I was feeling to brain dead to cut this recipe down by half when I made it, so I figured we'd take a chance with the full recipe... And it actually made pretty decent leftovers!  Woo-hoo!

1 comment: