Thursday, January 12, 2012

Roasted Brussel Sprouts

Awhile ago I pan roasted some brussel sprouts, and they were ok, but they were kind of complicated, and they used butter.  I prefer to cook vegetables without butter.  This recipe looked far simpler, so I gave it a try.

The original recipe called for bacon to be roasted along with the brussel sprouts.  I'm sure that would be delicious, and I'll probably try it sometime, but this time I skipped the bacon.  I didn't have any.  I didn't want to go to  the store.  I figured since we were eating pork already as our main course, we didn't really need bacon anyway.

Recipe: (from Sweet Peas and Pumpkins)
1 pound of brussel sprouts
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 slices of bacon, chopped (if using)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.  Rinse and pat dry the brussel sprouts.  Cut the large ones in half and trim the ends.


Place on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, (bacon), salt and pepper.  Bake for 20-25 minutes.


Verdict:
Mmmm!  I do love green stuff!  These were delicious.  Crispy but still fresh.  I think I like them better than the other recipe - even without the bacon.  And one of the greatest parts was how easy it was.  A perfect easy-to-add side dish to many 20 minute meals.  And in this case, a great side to leftover pork roast.

1 comment:

  1. I saw pretty much the same thing the other day only they lined the baking sheet with foil first for easy clean up and they used an oil Misto to spray the oil on so that you got a lite coating. I have brussel sprouts in fridge ready to try. I am sure I won't miss the bacon either. That would be delicious but unnecessary and I'm trying to be good.

    ReplyDelete