Thursday, December 1, 2011

Turkey Noodle Soup

Thanksgiving is barely over, and I'm already starting to dream about holiday baking extravaganzas.

It's a problem.

But I figure if I eat as many vegetables and whole grains as I can possibly cram down my throat in the next three weeks, it all balances out, right?  Ah, if only....

Recipe:  (from food.com)
Cooking spray
1 cup sliced carrots
3/4 cup chopped onion
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 cup sliced celery
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups uncooked egg noodles
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
1 bay leaf
2 cups shredded turkey (about 8 ounces)
(I was so excited to find these whole wheat, whole grain egg noodles!  Mission off to a successful start already...)

Heat a large pan over medium-high heat.  Coat pan with cooking spray.  Add carrot, onion, and garlic.

Saute five minutes or until onion is lightly browned.  Add celery, salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.

Add broth and next three ingredients (through bay leaf); bring to a boil.   Reduce heat and simmer five minutes. 

Add shredded turkey; cook additional three minutes.

Discard bay leaf and sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper if desired.

Verdict:
I think my first attempt at soup was a winner!  It had rained all day Monday (not to mention all day driving home from Michigan on Sunday), so I was in the mood for comforting, and this delivered.  The celery in particular seemed a little crunch, so I'd maybe add a minute or two to the cooking time after celery is added (but before noodles - no one wants mushy noodles!). 

Chock full of vegetables, whole grains, and protein, it seemed like a healthful way to use up some of the turkey leftovers from the weekend.  Now, I'm not saying this would at all compete with someone who makes their soup completely from scratch, turkey stock and all, but for this soup novice, it works.  Alex must have agreed since he went back for seconds.  And thirds.  Although to be honest, the soup was so filling, I couldn't even finish my first bowl.  So Alex did.  Will definitely keep this on the radar screen for next post-Thanksgiving.  And beyond.

Served with a salad - talk about a vegetable-wham pow!

3 comments:

  1. Looks yummy, I am going to look for those noodles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again you have inspired me!
    I was looking for something to do with my leftover turkey, celery, ect. This was easy and told almost no time. I did add some leftover sweet potato. Barry did not even notice, thought it was carrot!
    Soup was great! Thank you Domestic Diva!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to be passing the food inspiration on! Love the idea of adding sweet potatoes, too.... The flexibility is one of the great parts of making soup!

    ReplyDelete