Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Chocolate Mint Thumbprints

Dark chocolate + white chocolate + Andes mints + peppermint = sign me up!

Last weekend I had to go to a cookie exchange.  Seriously.  I was given no choice.  Invitations were sent out in early December to everyone that lives in our townhouse complex.  I never planned on attending.  Until I looked at the calendar and realized that the cookie exchange was scheduled to take place during my Sunday shift in the office.  Meaning I had to be there.  And I didn't want to be the Grinch that shows up to the neighborhood cookie exchange without any cookies.

So now I had to decide on a recipe.  I thought about making more Oatmeal Gumdrop cookies since I've always believed that one purpose of a cookie exchange is to share one of your favorite recipes.  But I was in the mood to try something new since the blogs I read are oozing with delicious cookie recipes this time of year.

Shocking.

I decided on this recipe from Sweet Pea's Kitchen because it sounded different enough that someone else probably wouldn't also bring it (my greatest cookie exchange fear!), didn't contain nuts (and I had zero clue about allergies with this group) and because chocolate and mint is one of the greatest flavor combinations there is.  Peanut butter and chocolate wins.  But mint and chocolate definitely ties with caramel and chocolate.  To dislike it is practically un-American.

Recipe:

For the Cookies:
2 ounces dark chocolate (60-72%), chopped
2 ounces mint chocolate, chopped (Target sells bags of pre-chopped Andes mints for baking.  Score!)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup granulated sugar + 1 cup for rolling
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

For the Filling:
3 ounces white chocolate chopped
3 tablespoons heavy cream (Can they please start selling heavy cream in smaller containers????  I never use it to cook and the few times I need it to bake, I have to buy a ridiculous-sized carton and throw the vast majority of it away.  Sigh.....)
1/2 teaspoon pure peppermint extract

In a microwave safe bowl, melt the dark chocolate and mint chocolate in 30 second intervals until nearly melted.  Whisk until smooth; set aside.


In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, and salt.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter until creamy.

Add the 1/3 cup granulated sugar and brown sugar and beat at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.

Beat in the egg yolks and vanilla.

Pour the melted chocolate into the bowl and mix just until incorporated.  Add the dry ingredients and mix, scraping the side of the bowl occasionally, until smooth.

Transfer the dough to a sheet of plastic wrap and shape into an 8-inch disc.  Refrigerate 30 minutes.

 Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.  Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.   Roll a heaping tablespoon into a 1 1/2 inch ball.  Roll ball in sugar; place on cookie sheet.  Repeat with remaining dough, placing balls about 2 inches apart.  With your thumb, press an indentation into the center of each cookie.  Bake 10 minutes or until slightly firm; remove from oven and using your thumb press an indentation into the cookies again.  Return to oven and bake an additional 4 to 5 minutes.

Cool on rack.

To make white chocolate filling, put the white chocolate into a heat-proof bowl.  Put the cream into a microwave-safe bowl and heat at high power until boiling, about 30 seconds.  Pour the hot cream over the white chocolate and let stand until melted, about 30 seconds, then whisk until smooth.  Stir in peppermint extract.


Fill the thumbprints with the white chocolate ganache and refrigerate until set, about 30 minutes.

Verdict:
There are a lot of steps, so they seem complicated to make.... but really the steps weren't difficult (just a lot of dishes to wash!).   As far as taste goes, Alex and I both found them fabulous.  Chocolaty.  Minty.  Sweet. Fresh.  Christmasy.

Note: I'd make a little extra of the white chocolate filling.  I had about 6 cookies that didn't get filled, and they just don't cut it plain.

Don't worry, they didn't all go to the cookie exchange; I reserved a few for family and friends back home!

1 comment:

  1. Well, I am glad to hear you saved some for us to try. But it does sound like a lot of steps. Can't wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete