Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Chicken and Asparagus Pasta

I read in an article recently that that average American eats fast food seventeen times a month.  First I threw up.  Then I ran to the grocery store for vegetables.  Lots and lots of vegetables.

Asparagus.  Brussels Sprouts.  Cauliflower.

It's not really a logical response since I might eat that much fast food in a year's time span, and my dietary habits aren't exactly going to impact anyone else's health.  Well except maybe my husband's.  But just the idea of that much fast food made me feel icky and slow and sluggish and in serious need of nutrition so....

I got slightly carried away, and now my vegetable drawer is bursting.  To my way of thinking, the only downside of vegetables is that they don't last all that long once you buy them.  And since they aren't exactly cheap, I definitely need to focus on using them up.  Quickly.

While on the hunt for vegetable-laden recipes, I found this one.

Recipe: (from Spark Recipes)
3 cups whole grain extra wide pasta (I used penne)
12 spears asparagus
2-3 chicken breasts, skin and bone removed
1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1 medium tomato
pinch of pepper, red or cayenne
optional: 1 1/2 cups fresh mushroom, whole or sliced

(I cut the recipe approximately in half since it serves four, and the several sources I found on the internet stated that asparagus doesn't reheat well for leftovers.  We did have some chicken and pasta left over but ate all the vegetables.  I also didn't use the mushrooms.  Sad face.)

Cook pasta according to package directions.  Meanwhile, cut chicken into bite sized pieces and cook in skillet with olive oil until partially done.   Add asparagus and mushrooms and cook until chicken is fully done.

Add chicken broth and cover pan.  Cook until asparagus is crisply tender.

Add pasta, pepper flakes, and feta cheese.  Stir well and remove from heat.

Serve with fresh diced tomatoes as garnish.

Verdict:
I will definitely be making this again!  Everything was cooked perfectly.  The chicken was tender.  The asparagus wasn't overcooked.  You know the phrase, "tastes like chicken"?  It certainly applies here.  I haven't always been the world's biggest fan of asparagus and just started eating it in very controlled cooking conditions over the last year (pretty much only grilled - kind of a problem in winter).  This recipe works even if you don't love love asparagus because it is flavored with the chicken broth.  The feta and seasoning added just the right touches of flavor.  In the future, I think I'd play with a few different combinations depending what I had on hand.  Olives would make an interesting addition.  If you don't have red pepper, season with some oregano or Italian seasoning or Greek seasoning or really whatever you like.

As far as quick and easy, I think that it could be...  Unfortunately when I made this recipe, I had a couple of things working against me in the time department.  First, our stove is utterly absurd and it takes a minimum of thirty minutes to bring a pot of water to a boil.

I really, really hate that stove.

Also, earlier that evening, with the innate grace that I possess, I tripped on the last stair at the gym and twisted my ankle.  Sigh.  Not broken.  Not even sprained.  Just some muscle or other over stretched.  But it made walking around the kitchen a bit more difficult than usual.  I guess the fact that I was still able to make this recipe work says something for it in the easiness department...

Keeper!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like my kind of food, I can see lots of variations and I LOVE asparagus!

    ReplyDelete