Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Apple Sangria

Sometimes after extra-concentrated time with family... an adult beverage or two is in order!  Again, I can't take credit for making this recipe, but I did find it on Cooking Light, and I did help my mom put it together.

Plus we love any excuse to put this snazzy pitcher to use!

Recipe: (from Cooking Light's website)
3 1/2 cups chopped Honeycrisp apples (about 2 pounds)
1/2 cup apple schnapps
1/4 cup honey
4 whole cloves
2 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks
2 (1/4-inch) slices peeled fresh ginger
1 large navel orange, quartered
1 (750 milliliter) bottle fruity red wine (such as Beaujolais)
1/4 cup club soda, chilled, divided
additional slices of apple for garnish

Combine first 8 ingredients in a bowl or pitcher; stir well.  Refrigerate for several hours.

Strain wine mixture through a sieve into a pitcher; discard solids.

Divide wine into four wine glasses; top off with club soda; add apple slice garnish.


Verdict:
Crisp and refreshing!  Very seasonal and just a little sweet.  I'm glad we decided to double the recipe as more than one more person, myself included, went back for seconds.  Just a note: when serving, I didn't really measure out the club soda.  I just poured the sangria over some ice and added enough club soda to fill the glass.  Served that way, the doubled recipe made more than eight servings.

I can't promise to make this again because I do like to research and explore new drink ideas...  But it is definitely a possibility!

1 comment: