Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Natural Bridge State Park, KY

State parks, nature, hiking, and all that that entails is not usually my idea of a vacation getaway.  I didn't get the camping gene.  But we're on a budget, and this vacation was paid for.  I'd be a fool to say no.  Plus, sleeping in a tent outdoors was not on the agenda, so I knew I could survive.

The hospital sponsors a yearly retreat for residents and their families, and this year it was at Natural Bridge State Park in Kentucky.  And we ended up having a weekend with just about the most perfect fall weather imaginable: sunny and 60s all day, every day.  What better way to spend such a weekend than outdoors?!

This was the view that greeted us when we arrived...


First on the agenda was a hike to see the balanced rock and natural bridge for which the park was named.  It wasn't a difficult hike, but there were lots and lots and lots and lots of stairs...  Plus, we were unable to check into our hotel rooms before heading out.


I hadn't planned on having to hike and climb stairs in blue jeans, a new-ish sweater, and carrying a gigantic shiny purse...  And anyone who has spent any time at all with me knows that I do not like when things don't go according to my plan.

Whether or not my plan was at all realistic isn't relevant.  It's my plan, and it should work.  I can be immature at times.  Poor Alex had to put up with my grousing and complaining the whole way up...



The view from the top of the natural bridge did a lot to improve my mood.  So did knowing I was able to make the climb, 20-pound purse over my shoulder and all!

The resident group enjoying the view from the top.

At first I was a bit disappointed to realize that we had climbed to the top of the natural bridge.  I wanted to see the thing, not stand on it!  Fortunately, one of the other resident's wives mentioned that they had taken a different trail up that went under the bridge, so we took that way down, and I was able to enjoy the view after all.

Other events over the weekend included a pit-stop at a snake pit and aquarium.  The term aquarium was used loosely as we encountered a single fish tank and a single tank with turtles in it.  It was a small exhibit, but the snakes were really active, which made it more interesting than a lot of full-scale zoos I've been to...


Between dinner at a very Kentucky local restaurant (visualize completely open kitchen with cooks drinking beer as they prepare your food) and a late night bon fire complete with jello shots and chocolaty baked goods, I'd say that the weekend was a success for all!

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure carrying that purse helped add a little extra calorie burn to the hike. In anticipation of balancing the extra from the chocolaty treats and jello shots, you are so smart!

    ReplyDelete