Friday, June 1, 2012

Summer Vegetable Salad

For the vast majority of my life, I would only eat zucchini in zucchini bread.  In the fall, I managed to consume it amidst the myriad of flavors in one of my favorite recipes to date.  In the last month or so, I've learned that roasted and/or grilled zucchini is pretty awesome.  This recipe contains raw zucchini with a very few other flavors to 'hide' its presence.  This is a very big step for me.

We'll see how it turns out.

Recipe:
2 cups fresh corn (I cheated and used a bag of frozen corn)
1 medium zucchini, diced
2-3 roma tomatoes, deseeded and diced (although I don't see the point in deseeding them, so I didn't)
2 tablespoons fresh basil, sliced
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar or balsamic glaze

In a medium bowl, combine the corn, zucchini, tomatoes, basil, salt, pepper, and olive oil.  Toss well to combine.  Serve and drizzle with balsamic.  (Except I wasn't paying attention and added my balsamic to the bowl before tossing.  It's a fairly forgiving recipe.)

Verdict:
Definitely simple.  And on a hot day, a nice no-cook side that is an alternative to your typical salad.  The chopping can take some time, but it's not bad.  Loved the taste.  And I even loved the raw zucchini.  For the first time in my life.  Something that I plan to make throughout the summer as I'm sure it will get better as produce gets fresher during the local growing season.

1 comment: