Monday, June 18, 2012

Strawberry Mango Salsa

Well, friends.  This is it.  My last meal prepared in this kitchen.  Although, to be honest, I didn't prepare all that much using the kitchen itself.  My resources are in boxes right now.  But the important point is - no more cooking in a kitchen where I can barely turn around!

As I said, most of my pans and appliances are packed away.  So I was looking for something simple to do with the fish I wanted to use from the freezer before moving.  I saw this on Pinterest awhile ago and while it is intended as a salsa for dipping pita chips (especially of the cinnamon sugar variety - yum!), I thought it would make an interesting topping to grilled fish as well.

Recipe: (from McConkie Menu via Pinterest)
3/4 cup strawberries, finely diced
3/4 cup mango, peeled and finely diced
1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
6 basil leaves, finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

I didn't actually measure anything.  My measuring cups and spoons are packed.  I just used approximately equal amounts of strawberry and mango then guesstimated everything else.

Combine all ingredients into a bowl and allow to sit in refrigerator, covered, for a few hours before using.

Hubs grilled the fish.  I steamed some broccoli in the microwave.  And voila!  A simple and fresh meal that used up lots of food I would have had to throw out before the move anyway.  Success!


Verdict:
Well I do think I prefer this salsa simply to be used as a topping for cinnamon sugar pita chips.  Duh.  But it was pretty delicious this way too.  Love the savory and sweet combination.  Love the mango.  Don't eat a lot of it, and it felt fresh and summery and special.

Plus, I'm looking forward to using some leftover pineapple, the mango, and some strawberries with my yogurt for lunch tomorrow.  Yum!

1 comment:

  1. Last Cinnci post :( Looking forward to MI posts from a slightly better equipped kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete