Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Antipasti

After a few days of settling in and a weekend full of parties and eating out (rough life, I know), the Diva is back in a kitchen!  Not my kitchen.  But a kitchen.  And a very nice kitchen at that.

It's amazing how you don't get hot, sweaty, and frustrated boiling a pot of water when your kitchen is wider than the span of your arms.  Or how much easier cooking can be when someone else fits in the kitchen with you, and you can direct them to 'get this, 'check that,' 'rinse those.'  Or how much more efficient clean-up goes when  the idea of someone helping doesn't send you into a panic attack because there's no room.  Oh, and counter space!  When you don't have to wash every single utensil or dish directly after using it because there is actually space to let it sit for awhile?  Awesome.

Have I mentioned how little I liked our former kitchen?

Now that we are back in Michigan, we are enjoying a nice little stay-cation.  I won't start school until the fall of course, and Alex's new job doesn't start until mid-July.  Since he is around more, I let him pick out our first cooking adventure in Michigan.  Not surprisingly, he went for something Italian!

Recipe: (from Better Homes and Gardens - my adaptations in purple.)
4 ounces dried bow ties (I used whole grain shells)
12 ounce jar marinated artichoke salad (I used plain artichokes, packed in water)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed (to be honest, I used quite a bit more and didn't really measure - more taste tested as I sprinkled)
1/2 medium canteloupe
6 ounces salami, chopped
4 ounces fresh mozzarella balls, halved
1/2 head of broccoli, chopped small and lightly steamed
4 ounces black olives, halved
tomatoes, chopped

Cook pasta according to package directions; drain; rinse in cold water; drain again.

Drain artichokes, reserving 1/4 cup of the liquid, to be added to the dressing. (Since I didn't use marinated artichokes, I made up for the lack of seasoning by adding more of the Italian.)  Toss with olive oil and Italian seasoning.

Combine all other ingredients in a bowl.  Toss well.

Add dressing to pasta salad.  Toss well.  Add seasoning, salt, and pepper to taste.

Serve in pasta bowls.

Verdict:
Loved!  It's hard to go wrong with pasta, meat, and cheese of course.  But really, there was something about this combination of foods that was delicious.  Everything tasted light, fresh, and summery.  

 The artichokes may have been my favorite part.  And the cantaloupe.  I almost skipped it because I thought it sounded weird.  But it was the perfect hint of sweetness amongst all the savory flavors. 

It's also a wonderfully flexible dish, as evidenced with my many additions.  I'm especially glad that I added the broccoli, and I think in the future I will cook fewer noodles and double the amount of broccoli.  It's an easy way to limit the carbs and increase the veggies without really losing texture or flavor - always a good thing.

This dish definitely passes the husband test as Alex went back for seconds!  Not sure what is up for our next cooking adventure.... But I'm excited to find out!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are enjoying having some space to work in. And of course lets not forget about the availability of a decent fruit market to shop at!

    ReplyDelete