Saturday, March 10, 2012

Tortellini Soup

Despite March opening with more snow than Cincinnati got in December, January, and February combined, it is starting to feel like spring is on its way!

 I feel like a bit of a hypocrite enjoying the onset of spring when I complained so much about never having a real winter....  But I just can't resist this happy time of year!  Buds on the trees.  A few flowers starting to poke through the ground.  Blue skies.  Sunny days.  Warmer temps.  Several days in a row without the heat going on.  A couple days recently I have chosen to take our half full kitchen trash out to the dumpster just for an excuse to spend a few moments in the sunshine. 

It does still get down to the low 30s and high 20s at night.  And on a gray, drizzly day with more clouds and dampness than blue, sunny skies we still feel that chill that only a hot bowl of soup can satisfy.  Thursday was one of those days.  I worked in our leasing office all day on Thursday, looking forward to coming home and making this delicious meal all.day.long!

Recipe: (from annie's eats via Pinterest)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced (I used 3 cloves)
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (I made sure my teaspoon was heaping - love oregano!)
1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, with juices
4 cups low sodium vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
9 ounces any variety tortellini
3 cups fresh baby spinach, loosely packed
salt and pepper to taste
grated parmesan for serving

In a large pot or Dutch oven (it doesn't really need to be all that large... I could have made triple this recipe in my Dutch oven), heat olive oil over medium-high heat.  Add the onions to the pan and cook until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes.

Add in the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1 minute.

Mix in the oregano, diced tomatoes, and vegetable broth.  Bring the mixture to a boil.

Add the tortellini and cook according to package directions.

One minute before the tortellini is fully cooked, add the spinach.

Remove from heat.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Serve garnished with parmesan cheese if desired.

Yields: 2-4 servings

Verdict:
This recipe is a hands down winner.  I don't think there is anything I would change or adjust.  It was incredibly simple and a true one-pot 20 minute meal.  Something I will absolutely save for busy nights.  I started the process at about 5:50, and dinner was on the table by 6:15. Brilliant.

My le Creuset Dutch oven is the easiest pan in the world to clean and clean-up took all of 5 minutes.  Maybe less.  Now that's what I'm talking about.

Not only was it easy, it was delicious and healthy too. Jam packed with nutrients from the spinach and tomatoes.  A vegetarian recipe that my husband loved (He had seconds.  Then thirds.).  The only downside could possibly be that I was hoping for leftovers for lunch the next day.  No such luck.

All we were missing was some nice crusty homemade (or fresh bakery) bread on the side.  Next time.  And there will be a next time.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds really good. Wish Dad liked soup based dinners better. But I will make it anyway.

    ReplyDelete