Friday, March 23, 2012

Baked Broccoli Macaroni and Cheese

Alex loves macaroni and cheese.

Personally, I always think I love it..... But whenever I eat it decide it's just too average to be worth all the fat and calories.  Unless of course we're talking gourmet mac and cheese from some stellar chef in an overpriced restaurant.  That's a whole different category.

But anyway, I may have finally found a macaroni and cheese recipe that will keep us both happy...

Recipe: (found on Pinterest - of course!- via skinnytaste)
12 ounces small noodles (elbows, small shells etc. - whole grain or high fiber preferred)
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon light butter (I don't have light butter though, so it was just 2 regular tablespoons for me)
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup minced onion
2 cups skim milk (Hallelujah - a mac n' cheese recipe that doesn't call for heavy cream!)
1 cup low sodium chicken broth (or vegetable both to make vegetarian)
8 ounces shredded reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
salt and fresh pepper to taste
12 ounces fresh broccoli florets
1/8 cup grated parmesan (Thanks to Amy I know how many tablespoons that is since I still don't have a 1/8 measuring cup!)
1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
cooking spray

Cook pasta and broccoli together (genius!) in  large pot of salted water according to package directions for al dente (slightly undercook 2 minutes).  Spray a baking dish with cooking spray.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a large, heavy skillet, melt butters.  Add onion and cook over low heat about two minutes, add flour and cook another minute or until the flour is golden and well combined.


Add milk and chicken broth and whisk, raising heat to medium-high until it comes to a boil; cook about 5 minutes or until the sauce becomes smooth and thick.  Season with salt and pepper.

Once the sauce is thick, remove from heat, add cheese and mix well until cheese is melted.


Adjust salt and pepper to taste.  Add pasta and broccoli and mix well.

Pour into prepared baking dish.  Top with grated cheese and breadcrumbs.  Spray a little more cooking spray on top.

Bake for 15-20 minutes then broil for a few minutes to get the bread crumbs golden.
Verdict:
Definitely something I'll make on occasion. This wasn't the ooey-gooey-ness some expect from a mac n' cheese, but it satisfied hubby's desire for mac n' cheese without being overwhelmingly cheesy and thus artery clogging to suit my tastes.  Still a bit heavy to make often but good to have up my sleeve when someone's mood strikes!

A couple of notes.  I would add way more broccoli than the recipe suggested.  More broccoliness would make me feel better about eating this.  Plus I love broccoli.  I did not have seasoned bread crumbs, so I sort of made up my own: plain panko bread crumbs with a 1/4 teaspoon of parsley, a dash of garlic powder, and a touch or two or cayenne pepper.  It worked and actually the hint of spice from the cayenne pepper jazzed up the dish a bit.  I only had whole wheat flour, so that's what I used.  I don't think it made a difference but then I haven't tasted it with white flour.  I also don't use cooking spray in my le Creuset baking dish as it is wholly unnecessary: baked on goodness just floats away....  So I also forgot to spray the crumbs on top.  I meant to because I thought it would help them golden up, but they seemed to do just fine.

All in all, a successful attempt at lightening and veggifying a favorite comfort food!  (I'm also excited to try at some point recipes for mac n' cheese that incorporate cauliflower or butternut squash into the sauce.... but maybe next year... I can only eat mac n' cheese so often...)

I probably won't be posting for a few days...  Wish us luck as we continue the house hunt in Michigan!

No comments:

Post a Comment