Friday, March 9, 2012

Chicken Enchiladas

In order to make last week's steak fajitas, I had to buy fresh cilantro.  As in a whole bunch of fresh cilantro.  So I could use all of 2 tablespoons.  I'm really sick of just throwing away money when I can't use up fresh herbs, so I set about finding some more recipes using fresh cilantro.

Have I mentioned lately how much I love the internet?

Recipe: (slightly adapted from myrecipes.com)
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 chicken breasts, diced
2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1 (4.5 ounce) can chopped green chilies
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
8 (8 inch) soft taco-size flour tortillas
cooking spray
1 (8 ounce) bottle or can green taco sauce
1 (8 ounce) container sour cream

Optional toppings: chopped tomato, sliced olives, avocado, green onions, more cilantro

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Heat olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat.  Add chicken to pan and cook until browned on all sides and cooked through.  Remove pan from heat.  Set aside.

Stir together chicken, cheese, 1/2 cup sour cream, green chilies, and cilantro in a large bowl. 

Spoon about 1/2 cup of the mixture into each tortilla.  Roll tortillas and place in 13 x 9 baking dish.  (I actually had some of the filling leftover.  You might be able to get a 9th tortilla, but I couldn't cram even one more into the baking dish I was using.)


(The directions at this point stated to spray the top of the tortillas with cooking spray.  I did not do that, and I don't think that it was necessary.  What I would do, is spray the baking dish before putting the tortillas into it.  There was a slight issue with sticking...)

Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.

Meanwhile, stir together taco sauce and sour cream in a bowl.  Spoon over hot enchiladas to serve and add toppings of your choice.


Verdict:
Delicious!  I wasn't sure how I would feel about certain aspects of this recipe. Green taco sauce.  Copious amounts of sour cream.  Green chilies.  Not in my usual repertoire.  But it all blended together perfectly.  Alex went back for seconds, happily ate leftovers the next night, and requested that we keep this recipe for the future.  All good signs.

I would say you could get away with making significantly less of the sauce.  We ended up throwing a lot of it out.  But the green taco sauce came in a can, so it would have had to have been thrown out anyway I guess.

And by the way? I still have at least half that bunch of cilantro left.

How much Mexican food can a diva make?

Any suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. Recipe sounds great, I will try this. As for the cilantro, I am pretty sure you could chop it and freeze it or dry it by hanging it upside done. Try tying a rubber band around the stems and hang somewhere with a paper clip

    ReplyDelete