Friday, March 30, 2012

Pasta Puttanesca

I am all about trying new foods these days.  And fortunately hubby is pretty accommodating.  (Except for mushrooms.  And cherries.  Which is weird.  Who doesn't like cherries? Anyway.  More for me.  When do we start getting good, fresh cherries?)

This recipe features an ingredient I never thought I'd be willing to try.  Never.

Anchovies.

Oh yes.  You read that correctly.

Now, I love fish.  Most fish.  Most seafood in fact.  But had never, ever, ever been tempted to try anchovies.  They are weird.  And slimy.  And greasy.  And salty.  And they come in a can.  Real seafood does not come in a can.

 But then I read this recipe, and I was actually tempted.  And apparently, like salmon, anchovies are packed with oh so good for you Omega-3s.  Who knew?  So try it we did.

 Recipe: (from Sweet Peas and Pumpkins)

1 tablespoon olive oil
5-6 canned anchovy fillets, chopped fine
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 jarred roasted red pepper or 1/2 red pepper, diced
1/2 cup chopped kalamata olives (I used black olives.  Kalamata olives = Gross)
1 - 28 ounce can petite diced tomatoes with basil (I forgot the 'with basil' part when shopping, so I just added in some basil of my own.)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
8 ounces cooked penne, ziti or other pasta (I used spaghetti as it was all I had.)
fresh parmesan cheese

In a large sauce pan, over medium high heat, heat the oil. Once hot, add the anchovies and garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the other remaining ingredients, except the pasta and cheese.

 
Bring the sauce to a boil and reduce to simmer. Let simmer for 5-10 minutes. Pour over the cooked pasta and serve immediately.

Top with parmesan cheese.
 Verdict:
Very good.  Nice and tomato-ey.  Nice and garlicky.  The anchovies add just a little bit of salty flavor and not overwhelmingly fishy.  And if you are serving a non-adventurous eater, just don't mention the anchovies.  Chop them up super fine and no one will know but you....

On a somewhat unrelated note: kitchen catastrope along the lines of diced tomato juice splattering all over my new shirt.  Just a t-shirt.  But still, new.  And I really liked it.  Sad Face.  Good news?  This stuff:

Is. Magic.  I've never gotten red sauce stain out of something so quickly.

1 comment:

  1. I think you got your Anchovy phobia from me and Dad. Not so sure I am willing to cave on that one. But I am glad Shaklee came to the rescue on your shirt.

    ReplyDelete