Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Michigan in the Fall

I love Michigan.  I love fall.  So it pretty much follows logically that Michigan in the fall is my idea of heaven on Earth.  Alex and I 'had' to go back to Michigan last weekend because he had an interview (yay!).  In addition to the business end of the trip, we managed to help celebrate my mom's birthday and get in lots of our favorite fall activities.

We started with Saturday night dinner at Younger's Irish Tavern in Romeo, Michigan.  Other than the fact that it was Sweetest Day and the restaurant was overly-crowded, it was a fabulous experience.  It was my parents' first time eating there, and my mom's choice for her birthday dinner.  Since the restaurant was so crowded, we sat in the bar area.  Since college football had ended for the day and the baseball game had yet to start, it wasn't too crowded, just a pleasant buzz.
We started with a couple of appetizers for the table, including the Irish Potato Wedges: potato wedges topped with cheddar, bacon, green onion, and sour cream.  Nice and hot.  Gooey cheese, crispy bacon, just like they should be.  And the pita chips have an interesting and unique spice that could really allow them to be enjoyed on their own.
We also had the The Village Dip (one of my personal favorites): roasted red pepper and chicken dip served with pita chips.  Oooey, gooey, melty, delicious!
Alex ordered a Turkey Reuben with a side of sweet potato fries.  This is one of his standard orders, so he of course loved it.
And I ordered the salmon spinach salad (thought I'd get something healthy after all that appetizer gorging...), which was a perfect blend of flavors: fresh baby spinach with bacon, mushroom, green apple, egg, and balsamic vinaigrette.

Our night in Romeo didn't end there.  We spent some time walking around town checking out the set-up of the Tilson Street Halloween decorations.  They weren't done yet, but what we did see looked like it was off to an incredible start.  They take Halloween very seriously out there!

It wouldn't be October without a stop at Erma's Frozen Custard for their famous Pumpkin Custard.  This is a standing tradition from my childhood.  They change flavors weekly but pumpkin custard sticks around throughout October.  It is always creamy, sweet, and delicious with just a hint of spice.  I kind of wish it was available more often, but I guess it wouldn't be as special then...  (I'd show you a picture, but by then it was after nine, very dark, and most of the pictures didn't come out.)

Sunday started off rainy and gloomy, but by the time we had enjoyed a breakfast of fruit salad, sausage, pumpkin spice coffee, and my dad's blueberry pancakes (one of the many perks of being at home!), the weather had cleared just enough to justify a trip to the cider mill - my favorite fall activity by far.

We didn't really have time for apple picking, but I did stock up on lots of fresh fall produce: butternut squash, corn on the cob, and green peppers (look for these to be featured in this week's dinners).  And of course, what would a trip to a cider mill be without cider and donuts.
Cinnamon-sugar cider mill donuts.  Pretty much the only donuts worth having.  Heavenly.


And although we didn't get to pick our own apples, my amazing mom picked up some Jonathan apples for me earlier in the week.
If you remember from my previous apple sauce making post - Jonathan apples are THE apples for making applesauce.  If you haven't, get some. Try it.  You will be amazed.
Homemade applesauce - the way it was meant to be.

And all of this inspired a flavorful fall meal last night full of my favorite flavors: butternut squash risotto, herb roasted butternut squash (recipe repeat!), and homemade applesauce - nice and pink!  Happiness on a plate.



What are your favorite flavors of fall?

2 comments:

  1. I want to know more about this butternut squash risotto.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The risotto was a 'cheat'... It's a box I ran across last week in the Kroger health food section. The brand is Lundberg, and they have several flavors. This is the only one I've tried. We liked it, so I'll be trying others eventually. (Box is brown with a green strip at the top that says 'Eco Farmed.')

    ReplyDelete