Saturday, October 1, 2011

Homemade All-Natural Applesauce (Direct from Michigan!)

There are so many things to love about fall, the topic could be its own blog post (and probably will be after I collect all of the things that I love about fall).  For now, one of my absolute fave fall comfort foods is homemade applesauce, and I couldn't wait to whip up a batch!  It makes the perfect side with pork chops (my fave meat), a delightfully guilt-free dessert, or a wonderful afternoon pick-me-up snack.

(Diva Disclaimer: My mom always makes homemade applesauce with Jonathan apples, so I do as well.  While I still maintain that Jonathans make the absolute best applesauce there is (it's pink!), they weren't in season yet when my mom came for a visit from Michigan.  Impatient as ever, I begged her to bring some other kind of apple that would work.  She delivered.  But I'm still on the lookout for those Jonathans, and I am sure my next batch will be pink perfection.)

First: Core and chop your chosen apples.  Lots of varieties work.  As I said, I like Jonathans the best.  Leave the skins on.  It's easier, and it adds nice color, especially with the Jonathans.  Plus, a lot of an apples nutrients are in its skin.

Second: In a large pot, add just enough water to cover the bottom.  This will help keep the apples from burning until their own water is released.  Dump in the chopped apples.  Sprinkle a touch of salt on top to help release the water when cooking starts.  Cook over medium heat 20-30 minutes until apples are softened but not completely mushy.





Third: A food mill is handy for this step.  This is the first time I have used my new food mill, and I love it!  It's much bigger than the one I had previously.  The rubberized legs make it very stable when sitting on top of a bowl (my old one was all metal and slipped like crazy).  And it comes with three different plates for the inside, depending on how finely you want your food milled.  I went for the finest grate.

Scoop a small amount of soft apples into the food mill and spin away.  Put some muscle into it to get as much goodness out of each apple as possible!  Is it time consuming?  Yes.  But it is so worth it in the end.  Tip: If you're going to do this, make a big batch.  Then freeze smaller amounts in individual containers for pulling out as a dessert or side dish on busier nights.



Fourth: Once all apples are milled, put desired amount in a serving bowl and enjoy.  I like mine warm with just a sprinkle of cinnamon on top!  Heaven in a bowl.

You may notice, with the exception of a dash of salt, apples are the only ingredient here.  In my recent internet recipe explorations, I have seen numerous applesauce recipes, and all seem to call for the addition of sugar.  I'm an unsweetened-applesauce kind of girl though.  If you choose the right apples, you just won't need any additional sweetening, so why add the extra calories? 

Side Note: Check out how this food mill comes apart for simplified cleaning!  The apple skins get in every crevice.  It's the only part of the process that I hate.  My old mill was all one piece, and this innovation  makes for a much more efficient clean-up.  If your food mill doesn't come apart, seriously consider upgrading to one that does.  You'll thank yourself later.  I promise.

1 comment:

  1. I want a new food mill, yours looks awesome! I'm on the lookout for the Jonathan apples

    ReplyDelete