Thursday, October 20, 2011

Mennonite Oatmeal Whole Wheat Bread

Earlier this week, we were able to view our finished wedding video.  And while the whole video was indescribably incredible, there was one particular moment that sticks out in my mind: Alex with his parents and groomsmen toasting to, "No more sandwiches for dinner!"  I laugh every time I hear it (and I've watched the video, er, several times...).  I laugh because it's funny.  I laugh because it's true.  He really did eat sandwiches for dinner. 

Every.  Single.  Night. 

But this week in particular, I was laughing because I had already planned at least one night of sandwiches for dinner.  Some things never go away.  However, because I planned to make said sandwiches on homemade bread, I like to think that this does not make me a domestic failure.

If you remember, my first experiment with the bread machine was a loaf of Blue-Ribbon White Bread.  I've been itching to give something wheat a try since then.  I actually do like the taste and texture of wheat bread better most of the time (although truly, you can't go wrong with a fresh loaf of white Italian bread dipped in olive oil and balsamic).  And of course wheat bread has far more nutrients than white, so I paged through the cookbook until I found a basic sounding wheat bread for which I had all of the ingredients on hand.

Recipe: (from The Artisan Bread Machine) for a 2 pound loaf of bread
1/4 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
2 tsp salt
3/4 cup lukewarm milk
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 1/2 cups bread flour
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
2/3 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
1 3/4 tsp instant or bread machine yeast

1. Add sugar, salt, milk, water, and oil to the bread pan.  Spoon bread flour, whole wheat flour, and oats on top of liquid.  Add yeast.
2. Select the Whole Wheat cycle (I chose medium crust this time) and press Start.  (Diva Note: Isn't it wonderful how 'idiot proof' basic bread machine recipes are?)

My bread machine beeps before the start of the final rise cycle, so you can open the machine and remove the mixing paddle. This is also a great opportunity to take a picture of the doughy mound inside.
It beeps again when done,  (See, idiot proof?!) so you can take the loaf out in all of it's golden brown glory to cool on a rack.


Nutritional Information:
It's difficult to calculate nutritional information for homemade bread with the recipe calculator I've been using.  They don't have separate categories for flour, so it's a bit inexact.  Serving size will vary greatly depending on the number of slices, size of slices etc.  I gave it a shot though.   There are about 2,400 calories in a loaf of bread using this recipe.

Verdict:
Mmmmmmmm..... bread....  I've never met a loaf of bread I didn't like.  And when it's warm - soft on the inside - crispy on the outside...  Well that's love at first bite.  And second.  And third.  And right through a whole tasty slice....... Mmmmmmm.......
 It made for some wonderful sandwiches last night.  I chose a simple cheese and tomato (my favorite sandwich combination), and Alex had turkey, cheese, and tomato.  Served with some fresh vegetables and homemade applesauce warmed up, this meal was a definite step-up from the sandwiches of Alex's bachelor days.

1 comment:

  1. You may have just helped me decide what's for dinner tonight. Only my bread will most likely not be home made!

    ReplyDelete