Monday, October 17, 2011

Herb Roasted Butternut Squash

Confession: I actually found this recipe at Sweet Peas and Pumpkins before going out to the farm, and it looked so good that I specifically bought a butternut squash just to try this recipe.  But look at it.  Can you blame me?

Recipe:
1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 3/4 inch dice
1 tablespoon fresh herbs - such as rosemary, thyme, oregano, parsley
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1. Peel squash, cut in half, and remove seeds from lower portion.
3. Cut into approximately equal chunks.
2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients.  Stir well to ensure coating of all ingredients.  Let sit for 10 minutes. (Diva Note: I realize fresh herbs would be much better, but I didn't have any, so I used dried rosemary and parsley.)

3. Place on a cookie sheet, doing your best to place them so they are in one even layer.
4. Roast for 15-20 minutes.  Remove tray from oven and flip all squash to ensure even roasting.  (This isn't an exact science, just flip as many as you can.)  Return to oven and roast for another 5-10 minutes or until squash is evenly browned.

May be served warm or room temperature.

This was a perfect complement to the pork chops we had that evening, accompanied by even more herbed bulgur and lentil salad (which really does get better as it sits in the fridge!).

Vedict:
W-O-W.  Just wow.  Every once in awhile I find a food that makes me forget that any other food exists.  I could eat this all day, every day for awhile.  Butternut squash is my new fall food obsession.  This woman seriously knows what she is doing in the kitchen.  It's really hard to explain the taste.  So just go make some.  You won't regret it.  (By the way, one squash makes a decent amount as a side dish for four people.  If you're willing to share.)  I picked up a couple more at Big Red's Orchard while visiting Michigan this past weekend, so we will be enjoying more butternut squash in the very near future.  Like tonight.  I'm already salivating.

No comments:

Post a Comment