Monday, October 24, 2011

Banana French Toast

I didn't cook much over the weekend because Alex and I traveled to Michigan for another interview, and when I'm home, I am always happy to let my mom and dad do the cooking. 

(Well, I did make my 'now-famous' Pumpkin Nut Bread with Dates to share at a family brunch, but not much to blog about there as I already did!  In other news, I think I will be recipe-repeating my Pumpkin Chili later this week.  It's addictively good, and we ate our last frozen batch last week.)

However, a couple weeks ago, I saw this idea on a friend's Facebook page, tried it, blogged about it, and never posted it because I was in the midst of a new-recipe whirlwind!  This will have to tide you over until my refrigerator is depleted of last week's leftovers and restocked with groceries...


Recipe:
1 cup milk
3 ripe bananas
add a tad of vanilla and a tad of cinnamon for flavoring (optional)
Mix until fully blended.
This should make enough to coat up to 8 slices of bread.  Make sure each slice is fully coated in the 'batter' and cook on a griddle, making sure to flip and cook the second side as well.
Drizzle with syrup.  Serve with a side of protein - we happened to have bacon on hand.  Enjoy.

Nutrition Information: (calculated at Spark Recipes)

The total nutrition value will vary greatly depending on the type of bread you use, so I only calculated the values for the banana mixture - assuming the amounts above are used to dip 8 pieces of bread and skim milk is used, each piece of french toast will be dipped in an additional:

Calories: 51
Total Fat: 0.3 g
Cholesterol: 0.6 g
Sodium: 16.4 mg
Potassium: 226 mg (lots more than regular french toast!)
Total Carbohydrates: 11.9 g
Protein: 1.5 g

*This could easily be made into a vegan recipe by substituting soy or almond milk for regular and choosing an appropriate bread.

Verdict:
Love!  It was much sweeter than typical french toast; in fact, I'd consider eating it without syrup in the future.  Even though I really do love syrup.  It definitely had a strong banana flavor and seemed like a great way to get in an extra fruit serving and load up on potassium.  It was much moister than I remember typical french toast being - but I may have done something wrong since I don't usually cook french toast....  But still, it didn't bother me.  We will be making again!

Bonus Story:
Alex and I have reached a syrup impasse.  We just cannot agree.  I have always grown-up using 100% pure maple syrup. 

Alex prefers....  (shudder) Mrs. Butterworth's. 

Out of interest, I read the ingredients on his bottle.  There were at least 20, 75% of them unpronounceable, and none of them were actually maple syrup.  Then I read the ingredients on my bottle. 

Maple syrup.  End list.
Ridiculous as it seems, I think we will always have to be a 2-syrup bottle household as there really is no happy medium here.

No comments:

Post a Comment