Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Chicken Cacciatore

I've heard it said before that a happy cook is a good cook.  And if that's true, how could anyone fail to be a good cook with new pots like this?

I think it's fair to say that I've been obsessed with Le Creuset cookware for the last several years.  Then they came out with purple.  Purple!  What could be more perfect for me than purple cookware?  I've been drooling over them for months... stalking them online.... driving to Sur la Table just to 'visit'...  Then for Christmas, I finally got this one (and several others).  Kitchen happiness commence!

In order to debut my new Dutch oven, I dug up this recipe my mom had e-mailed a few weeks ago.  Fitting since this pan was from her too!

Recipe: (I believe taken from a packet of poultry seasoning and slightly altered.)
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
4 - 6 boneless chicken breasts, pounded thin
1 medium yellow onion, sliced thin
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 red or green bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 3/4 oz. package poultry seasoning, de-stemmed and chopped
2/3 cup white wine or chicken broth (my mom and I both used chicken broth)
1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 14-ounce can artichoke quarters, packed in water

Before pounding the chicken breasts, I wrapped them so that there wouldn't be any splatter.  Good tip - thanks mom!

Mix flour, salt, and pepper in shallow bowl.  Coat chicken breasts in flour mixture lightly.  Heat oil over medium heat and saute chicken breasts until browned, about 3-4 minutes per side.

Remove chicken from pan and set on paper towel to drain.  If necessary add more oil to pan and saute onions until translucent, about 5 minutes.

Add garlic, green pepper, and chopped herbs.

Stir in broth or wine and cook until reduced by half.  Stir in tomatoes and cook until it comes to a boil.  Reduce to a simmer and add chicken and artichokes.

Allow to simmer, covered, for 10-30 minutes.

I served mine over whole wheat egg noodles.

Verdict:
There were lots of positives with this recipe!  I got to use my pretty purple Dutch oven - yay!  The chicken was tender and delicious.  I learned that I love artichokes even when they aren't in spinach-artichoke dip.  It seems incredibly versatile: mushrooms if you aren't married to a mushroom hater, asparagus, olives... lots of possibilities.  And the flavor, generally, was fabulous.  Alex and I both agreed though, that the poultry seasoning I used was a bit too piney...  Now I don't know if this is attributable only to the brand of the particular mix I used?  I couldn't find the same brand my mom used.  Or if we need to try a different type of seasoning the next time instead.  Thoughts?

But in general, it was a delicious meal and a delicious first-time use of my Dutch oven with which I am in love!  Can't wait to use it.... and the rest of my new fabulous cookware...

2 comments:

  1. I see a metal spoon in your picture. You are supposed to use wood or those silicone ones I got you for Christmas. The metal ones can mark up the pan. As for the flavor of the spices those mixed packets vary greatly in how much of each spice they put in. If you can figure out which spice you are not as crazy about try just cutting back on that one. Or buy the individual spices and just put in the ones you like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't cleaned the new silicone ones yet, so I used my usual wooden spoon.... but I had to use the metal one to serve it because it's all I have with slots to drain some of the liquid. I was very careful!

    So.... do you know what would taste like pine? I don't even know what goes into a supposed 'poultry spice' pack...

    ReplyDelete