Friday, March 16, 2012

Irish Stew

I made the Irish Soda Bread a day ahead of our early feast and the stew the day of the feast.  I only have enough counter space and outlet access in my kitchen to plug in one appliance at a time.

Sad, I know.  But only 3.5 months left with this tiny space!  Don't yet know what kind of kitchen we will have next, but it can't possibly be smaller that this!

Well, ok, it could be smaller....  Last house hunting trip we did actually see a house whose only oven was smaller than our microwave.  I didn't even know such a thing existed....  But the point is, I have a little more control this time around and am carefully monitoring the counter space situation in every home we consider.  But I digress.

Back to stew!

Recipe: (also Mom's recipe, no need for adaptations this time)
2 pounds stew meat, fat trimmed and cut into 1 inch chunks
1/2 cup flour
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
olive oil
6 carrots, cut into 1 inch chunks
1 cup celery, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
1 onion, cut into chunks
2-3 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
2 cloves garlic
1 bay leaf
1/3 cup water

Mix the flour, salt, and pepper in a shallow bowl.  Lightly coat stew meat.

Heat olive oil in pan and brown stew meat in batches.  Don't overcrowd the pan or meat will not brown well.  I think I had 4 batches in all.

Combine all ingredients in slow cooker except water.

Pour water into pan used to brown stew meat and scrape up all the flavorful brown bits off the pan.  Pour into crock pot.

Cover and cook on low heat for 10-12 hours.

Serve in bowls.  Tastes best when accompanied by Irish Soda Bread!

Verdict:
While eating stew on an 80 degree day (oh yes, the high on Wednesday was 82!) is not something I would normally do, there is no better meal for celebrating St. Patrick's Day.  The veggies were perfectly cooked without being mushy.  The meat was tender to the point of falling apart and melting in our mouths.  The gravy was thick and just perfect when sopped up with a slice of bread.

All that was missing was the green beer... But I figured we'd be getting plenty of that in Chicago!

No comments:

Post a Comment