Thursday, December 15, 2011

Loaded Baked Sweet Potato Soup

Although the weather is currently quite mild, last weekend definitely felt like winter.  And of course, instead of using the sub-20 degree temperatures as an excuse to stay inside on the couch with blankets and hot cocoa, I decided it was the perfect time to go see an outdoor Christmas light display.

I make odd decisions like that a lot.

But knowing we were about to spend a significant amount of time with ever-reddening noses, dinner seemed like the opportune time to warm our insides with a recipe I'd been wanting to try for awhile.

Who doesn't love a good loaded baked potato?  Growing up, it was one of my favorite treats.  Now, of course, I realize that it's not the healthiest option, which is sad.  But I find this soup to be a satisfying and healthier alternative.  Sweet potatoes have several health benefits over the regular potato, and the amount of toppings normally mounded onto a loaded baked potato is far more controlled in this recipe.
(OK.  It may not look like much.  But seriously, get excited.  This is good stuff.)

Recipe: (from How Sweet It Is)
3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 tablespoons flour
1/2 sweet onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 1/2 - 3 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
1 1/2 - 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoons pepper
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika (Which OMG rocks this recipe.  Do not think about making without this!)

Possible Garnishes: bacon, mascarpone cheese, crumbled goat cheese, chives, sour cream, cheddar... or whatever you like on your baked potatoes!

Prepare potatoes: first peel and cube.  You can either microwave the potatoes on high for about 10 minutes, until fork tender, tossing 2 to 3 times during cooking or you can roast them in a 400 degree oven for 35 minutes.  The microwave option makes this about a 30 minute recipe; the roasting option gives the soup a deeper, more carmely flavor.  (I  opted for roasting.)

Heat a large pot over medium-high heat; add butter and diced onions and cook for about 5 minutes.  Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute more, then add flour whisking continuously to create a roux with the onions.  Cook the onion roux for 2-3 minutes until it starts to golden in color and smell a bit nutty.  (Diva Note:  Except I thought I had an onion, so I didn't buy one, then I got home and found I didn't have an onion, so I sort of winged this step just heating the butter, garlic, and flour.... Never said I was perfect...)

 Add in stock, milk, smoked paprika, and potatoes, then bring to a boil.  Simmer for 15-20 minutes.  Stir often, making sure to scrape the bottom.

The potatoes should begin to break down.  If they are not as broken down as you'd like, you can break them down using a fork or potato masher.   If you want a creamy soup, you can add small portions to a blender or use an immersion blender.

I opted for a semi-chunky consistency.  Attractive, right?

Turn heat down low and add salt and pepper.  Taste and adjust seasonings according to preference.  Garnish as desired and serve while hot!



See, now you want some, don't you?

Verdict:
Definitely making it onto my list of favorites!  The soup was creamy, smoky, slightly sweet, and packed with vitamin A, beta-carotene, and other good stuff.  Honestly I don't think I would usually consider this enough for a complete dinner on it's own, but I knew we were having dessert later that night, so I wasn't too worried.  In the future, I think I'd try my immersion blender and serve it as a side dish to something-or-other that I have yet to decide on.  Suggestions?

3 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! Do I see bacon pieces in there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. Forgot to mention that we topped ours with bacon, sour cream, and cheddar. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You mention smoked paprika.... but considered a dash of cayenne pepper? I've always found it helps kick things up a bit if you're going for savory in a sweet potato or squash dish. Not enough to be spicy, but enough to prove you're not copping out by covering it with brown sugar...

    ReplyDelete